Photo: Mele Dornelas
Bulletin 541 – People’s Committee in Defense of Lula and Democracy
Straight from Curitiba – 8/14/2019 – 495 days of resistance – 8:50 PM
1. On Thursday, August 15th, Monica Benício, widow of slain Rio de Janeiro Council woman Marielle Franco, and Cuban writer Leonardo Padura will visit former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva. Afterwards, both will hold a press conference at the Vigil at 5 PM. Monica has become one of the most active voices for feminism and human rights in Brazil, and is in constant demand for speaking engagements both in Brazil and abroad. Padura is one of the most popular living Cuban authors, having built his career on the back of his career as an investigative journalist. Read more here: https://pt.org.br/lula-recebe-monica-benicio-e-escritor-leonardo-padura/
2. The March of the Margaridas took place today, Wednesday, August 14th, in Brasilia, with thousands of women marching in defense of a Brazil with popular sovereignty, democracy, justice, equality and free of violence. These were also the ideals of Lula during his entire time in government. In a letter to the Margaridas, the former President spoke of the advances that were made by the PT in building a better country and compared his practices with those of the current government, which abandons those who most need help. Read Lula’s letter here: https://pt.org.br/quero-muito-cumprimentar-a-coragem-dessa-marcha-diz-lula-a-margaridas/
3. Maria da Soledade Leite, the poet, writer, guitarist and singer of poems and songs with social themes, participated in the Marcha das Margaridas in Brasilia. While there, she recited a new poem which lists things done by ex-President Lula. Read more here: https://pt.org.br/contemporanea-de-margarida-maria-alves-repentista-canta-feitos-de-lula/
4. The Lula Livre Committee in France launched a campaign on this Tuesday, August 13th, to collect signatures and raise public consciousness about the urgent need to free ex-President Lula and reverse the arbitrary, manipulated conviction which let to his political imprisonment. In an interview with Prensa Latina, Carla Sanfelici, one of the members of the movement, said that signatories of the petition include French citizens and foreigners, politicians and diplomats and that they will hold several actions in Paris. Read more here: https://bit.ly/2H5gMKE
5. The “Good morning, President Lula” shout on this Wednesday, August 14th, was led by State Congresspersons Arilson Chiorato, Luciana Rafain, Tadeu Veneri and Professor Lemos, from the PT Bloc in the Paraná State Legislature. The PT lawmakers visit the Lula Livre Vigil every week to reaffirm their commitment to the fight for freedom for former President Lula and to speak with the activists.